Pontificia Universidad Javeriana is founded and guided by the principles of Jesuit education. Pontificia Universidad Javeriana in Bogotá is one of the oldest and most prestigious higher education institutions in the country, dating back to 1623. In 1970 Pontificia Universidad Javeriana Cali was established as an autonomous institution. For more than 4 decades of existence, it has been involved in teaching, research and services (community outreach) with and within its regional context: the southwest of Colombia and the Valle del Cauca in particular.
The university has four schools: Economic and Administrative Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences, Engineering and Health Sciences. Besides offering a great diversity of undergraduate and graduate programs, the university also offers diploma and certificate courses in different areas of knowledge through its continuing education department.
Javeriana Cali Statistics
Four schools: Engineering, Economic and Administrative Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences and Health Sciences
- 19 undergraduate programs
- 16 graduate programs (professional specializations)
- 11 master programs
- 1 PhD program
- Over 750 professors
- 76 Ph.D professors
- 50 Ph.D professors in training
- Over 7000 students
- Over 21000 graduates
- Approximately 200 Jesuit higher education institutions worldwide.
- Jesuit network of 31 universities in Latin America (AUSJAL).
- Over 40 international agreements
- 200 study exchanges in 2013
Research, Development and Innovation
- 32 research groups
- 27 research groups recognized by COLCIENCIAS (Colombian State Agency for the Advancement of Science and Technology in Higher Education Institutions)
- 3000 million Colombian pesos for research
- 6 scientific journals
- Education according to the needs of the local and regional context
- 20 different types of scholarships
- 2000 million Colombian pesos for scholarships each year since 2010
- Over 1000 students with scholarships
- Intercultural setting that builds the foundations for peace
- Development of critical thinking
- Entrepreneurship Center ¨Campus Nova¨, with a certificate of excellence awarded by the Organization of American States (OAS)
- 210 companies created
- 570 market-tested products
- Business, social and cultural entrepreneurship
- 39 diploma programs
- 178 business Seminars
- Dozens of consultants in various economic sectors
- 184,254 m2 constructed
- 151,899 m2 of campus area
- 152 classrooms, laboratories and multimedia rooms
- 3 auditoriums for 800, 200 and 120 people
- 1 television studio
- Javeriana Stereo 107.5 FM - Radio station
Javeriana Cali was founded the 6th of October 1970 in Berchmans High School in Cali and started with only 53 students. This fragile creature, which took its first steps as a temporary continuing education program, grew into an adult institution exercising strong leadership in the Valle del Cauca region. This outstanding development has been possible in the first place thanks to the guidance of God, who has generously blessed this apolistic project, secondly to the enthusiastic and unreserved support from the headquarter in Bogotá, thirdly to the tireless work of the Jesuits who have bet on this educational project, and finally to the Valle del Cauca society that believed in the educational endeavors of the Jesuits. Now, 43 years later, Javeriana Cali is proud to offer higher education to over 7000 students and to be one of the most distinctive universities in the southwestern region of Colombia.
Javeriana Cali is a catholic higher education institution, founded and guided by the Society of Jesus, and is committed to Jesuit educational principles.
The university is committed to offering high-quality education through teaching, research and services with a global and interdisciplinary perspective. Through teaching, research and services the university contributes to:
- The holistic education of each student seeking human and academic excellence, professional competence and social responsibility, and
- The creation and development of knowledge with critical and innovative perspectives aimed at developing a fair and equal, sustainable, inclusive, democratic and solidary society respectful of human dignity.
In 2021, Javeriana Cali will be recognized for:
- Human and academic excellence.
- Its international dynamics and its integration in the international network of Jesuit universities.
- Research, innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Social responsibility.
Core institutional goals (MEGAS)
Since 2011 the university has been working on its strategic plan for the period 2011-2021. In addition to the mission and vision statement, our five core institutional development goals are equally important within our strategic plan.
Major institutional development goals, also named MEGAS, are significant and challenging commitments. These MEGAS should motivate, focus and integrate efforts for the future of our institution. These MEGAS are directly related to the mission, the vision and the institutional values of Javeriana Cali.
The five MEGAS are:
- Human and academic excellence
- Research development
- International dynamics
- Innovation and entrepreneurship
- Social responsibility