Gerardo Mauricio Sarria
- 2008: Doctorate of Engineering, Computer Science, Universidad del Valle, Cali, Colombia.
- 2001: Bachelor of Engineering, Computer Science, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Cali, Colombia.
- 2014: Associate Professor, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Cali, Colombia.
- 2012: Assistant Professor, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Cali, Colombia.
- 2007: Instructor, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Cali, Colombia.
- 2004: Researcher and Developer, Institut de Recherche et Coordination Acoustique/Musique (IRCAM), Paris, France.
- 2002: Teaching assistant, Universidad del Valle, Cali, Colombia.
Professor Sarria’s research involves developing new constraint programming languages based on process calculi, exploring novel teaching/learning methodologies for computer science materials, and developing new theories and tools for solving problems in Security Protocols, Biology and Multimedia Semantic Interaction. He is currently applying artificial intelligence techniques at the intersection of machine learning, pattern recognition and data mining for Computational Characterization of Salsa Music. He is developing a novel approach to perform data mining on a big set of Salsa songs to build a system that models this musical genre and recognizes and classifies them using machine-learning techniques. He has contributed new constraint programming software solutions for enterprises, including the programming language Cordial, and most recently formal models of time musical processes that are currently being applied to characterize, understand and classify musical genres (particularly Salsa).
Currently Funded Research
Computational Characterization of Salsa Music, a project funded by three universities in Cali, Colombia. An approach to perform data mining on a big set of songs and thus to built a system that models this musical genre and recognizes and classifies old and new Salsa songs using machine learning techniques.
- Gerardo M. Sarria M. A Survey of Computational Calculi used in Musical Applications. Ingenieria y Competitividad. 15(2):103-114. Universidad del Valle. 2013.
- Salim Perchy and Gerardo M. Sarria M. Building models of musical compositions us- ing process algebras. In 39th Latinamerican Conference on Informatics (CLEI2013). Naiguata, Venezuela, 2013.
- Juan Carlos Martinez and Gerardo M. Sarria M. Didactic and Interdisciplinary Experiences in a Software Engineering Course. In 43rd IEEE/ASEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FiE2013). Oklahoma City, OK, USA. 2013.
- Gerardo M. Sarria M. An Interpreter for the RTCC Calculus. In 7th Colombian Computing Congress (7CCC). Held as Part of the 38th Latinamerican Conference on Informatics (CLEI2012). Medellin, Colombia. IEEE. 2012.
- Carlos Olarte, Camilo Rueda, Gerardo M. Sarria M., Mauricio Toro and Frank D. Valencia. Concurrent Constraint Models of Music Interaction. In Charlotte Truchet and Gérard Assayag, editors, Constraint Programming in Music. Wiley, 2011.