Hernán Darío Benítez
- 2008: Doctor in Engineering, Universidad del Valle, Cali, Colombia.
- 2002: Bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Cali, Colombia.
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana Cali, Associate Professor, 2008 - 2012, full time.
- Pontifícia Universidad Javeriana Cali, Associate Professor, 2013 - current, full time.
Professor Benitez studies infrared (IR) vision with the long-term goal of making IR imaging systems ‘see’ as humans do it in the visible spectrum. IR images/video provide valuable information for the interpretation of natural scenes, including but not limited to infrared non-destructive testing in industry and non-invasive human health diagnosis. Prof. Benitez’ group has successfully applied time-dependent thermographic analysis to diagnose the evolution of patients subjected to soft tissue surgeries (e.g. nerves, tendons, muscle, etc.). Prof. Benitez has also proposed and applied a Global Signal to Noise Ratio index that comprehensively evaluates defect detectability, and an IR Image Quality Index that compares visual structural information in infrared images in material samples exposed to loading conditions. This global approach determines the time at which the majority of the defects become visible in a sample.
- From local to global analysis of defect detectability in Infrared Non-destructive Testing, J. F. Florez-Ospina, H. D. Benitez-Restrepo, Infrared Physics \& Technology, Vol 63, 211-221, 2014.
- Spatial-temporal features of thermal images for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome detection, Kevin Estupiñan Roldan; Marco A. Ortega P.; Hernan D. Benitez Restrepo, Image Processing: Algorithms and Systems XII, edited by Karen O. Egiazarian, Sos S. Agaian, Atanas P. Gotchev, Proc. of SPIE-IS&T Electronic Imaging, SPIE Vol. 9019, 90190E , 2014.
- Non-referenced Quality Assessment of Image Processing Methods in Infrared Non-destructive Testing, Thomas J. Ramirez-Rozo, Hernan D. Benitez-Restrepo, Julio C. Garcia-Alvarez, and German Castellanos-Dominguez. ICIAP 2013, Part II, LNCS 8157, pp. 121-130. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013.
- Defect characterization in infrared nondestructive testing with learning machines, Benitez H.D., Loaiza, H., Caicedo, E.,Ibarra-Castanedo, C., Bendada, A., Maldague, X., NDT&E, Vol 42, Issue 7, 2009.
- Definition of a new thermal contrast and pulse correction for defect quantification in pulsed thermography, Benitez, H.D., Ibarra-Castanedo, C., Bendada, A., Maldague, X., Loaiza, H., Caicedo, E.. Infrared Physics and Technology Journal, Vol 51, 2008.