- 2007: Ph.D. in Control Theory, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, The Ohio State University, Ohio, United States.
- 2004: Master’s in Control Theory, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, The Ohio State University, Ohio, United States.
- 2003: Bachelor of Science in Control Theory, The Ohio State University, Ohio, USA.
- Collaborative Center of Control Science, Columbus, Ohio, Research associate, 2003-2007.
- Universidad de San Buenaventura, Instructor, 2008, part time
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana Cali, Associate Professor, 2008 - current, full time.
Professor Finke’s research focuses on the development of techniques for visualizing, modeling and analyzing platforms with large volumes of data. He uses dynamic systems theory to effectively incorporate the structure and evolution of information into solutions that exploit patterns underlying tangled coupling processes of large-scale networked systems. The main objective of his research is to create fundamental understanding of how distributed decision-making influences the formation of empirical networks to be able to explain (and design) emergent system-level behavior. His theoretical areas of interest also include parallel computing, optimization and game theory; application areas lie at the intersection of engineering and behavioral sciences.
Currently Funded Research
Development of information network models for capturing the underlying mechanisms in socio-technological systems. Structural patterns in criminal behavior (grant: Javeriana).
- P. Moriano and J. Finke, “On the formation of structure in growing networks,” Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment, vol. 2013, iss. 06, p. P06010, 2013.
- P. Moriano and J. Finke, “Power-law weighted networks from local attachments,” EPL (Europhysics Letters), vol. 99, iss. 1, p. 18002, 2012.
- Finke, J., “A legal perspective on the use of models in the fight against corruption” South Carolina Journal Of International Law And Business, ISSN: 1936-4334 , 8, p.267 - 296, 2012.
- Guerrero, K., Finke, J., “On the Formation of Community Structures from Homophilic Relationships” Proceedings Of The American Control Conference.