Luis Eduardo Tobón
- 2013: Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Duke University, Raleight, North Carolina, USA.
- 2007: Master in Materials Science, Universidad del Quindio, Armenia, Colombia.
- 2002: Bachelor in Electronics Engineering, Universidad del Quindio, Armenia, Colombia.
- 2007 - Present: Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Cali, Colombia.
- 2012–2013, Research Assistant, Duke University, Raleight, North Carolina, USA.
- 2011: Developer, Wave Computation Technology, Inc., Durham, North Carolina, USA.
- 2003–2007: Lecturer in Engineering, Universidad del Quindío, Armenia, Colombia.
Professor Tobon’s research involves using continuum level modeling and simulation to characterize complex electromagnetic systems and phenomena (Maxwell’s equations). He focuses on reducing the computational complexity of FETD methods to characterize electrically resolved structures on large-scale systems, with explicit and implicit temporal integration, based on computational domain decomposition. The applications span from 3D microelectronics, from nanometers to millimeters, design of wide band antennas interacting with large electrically active structures, and dispersive media detection (e.g. anti-personal land mines, improvised explosive devises). Other research interests involve the use of orthogonal functions to perform signal analysis for classification problems. Among these, we are currently studying sound as a means to diagnose health in ecosystems.
- Tobón, L. E., Ren, Q. and Liu, Q. H. “A new efficient 3D Discontinuous Galerkin Time Domain (DGTD) method for large and multiscale electromagnetic simulations.” Journal of Computational Physics (2015).
- Tobón, L. E., Ren, Q., and Liu, Q. H. “Spectral-Prism Element for Multi-Scale Layered Package-Chip Co-Simulations Using the Discontinuous Galerkin Time-Domain Method.” Electromagnetics 34, no. 3-4, pp270-285, 2014.
- Ren, Q.; Tobón, L. E. ; Liu, Q. H. “A new 2D non-spurious discontinuous galerkin finite element time domain (DG-FETD) method for Maxwell’s equations” Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 143, pp 385-404, 2013.
- Chen, J.; Tobón, L. E.; Liu, Q. H. “Locally Implicit Discontinuous Galerkin Finite Element Method for Transient Analysis of 3D Layered Structures with Electrically Small Details” Microwave and Optical Technology Letters. Vol. 55, No 8, pp 1912–1916, August 2013.
- Chen, J; Tobón, L.E.; Chai, M; Mix, J.A.; Liu, Q. H. “Efficient Implicit–Explicit Time Stepping Scheme with Domain Decomposition for Multiscale Modeling of Layered Structures” IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology. Vol. 1 No. 9, pp 1438 – 1446. Sept. 2011. Best paper award.
- Tobon, L. E.; Chen, J.; Liu, Q.H.; “Multilayer microwave filter design using a locally implicit discontinuous Galerkin finite-element time-domain (DG-FETD) method” IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 2011. 3-8 July 2011, pp. 2972 – 2975.